The resilience of pickup sales this spring is a testament to the fact Americans love trucks. And then there are the 38 percent of people who apparently really love their truck.
In a survey commissioned by Ford Motor Co. ahead of last week's unveiling of the redesigned F-150, 2,000 people in the U.S. were asked what they would rather give up for a year than the keys to their pickup. Here's what they said:
- 82 percent would cancel a video or music streaming service.
- 79 percent would stop drinking alcohol.
- 71 percent would forgo their coffee fix.
- 47 percent would give up their phone.
- 44 percent would become vegetarian.
- 38 percent would stop having sex.
A few other insights into the minds of pickup owners from Ford's survey:
- 34 percent of owners say they help others with their truck on a weekly basis.
- 25 percent gave their truck a name, such as Betty, Big Bertha or Cognito (for riding "in Cognito").
- 15 percent have a tattoo of their truck or something related to their truck on their body.