Dealers who want to increase their fixed ops business should reach out to those who drive their vehicles the most: ride-hailing drivers.
The 4 million-plus drivers for companies such as Uber and Lyft, as well as delivery services, use their vehicles six times as much as your typical service customer. Doesn't it make sense to go after their service business and build their loyalty now, while the ride-hailing industry is emerging?
Dealership customers use their privately owned vehicles, on average, just 4 percent of the time. Their cars and trucks sit parked for the other 96 percent.
But the average ride-hailing driver uses his or her vehicle 26 percent of the time. That means six times more required maintenance, and six times more breakdown and repair work. It's an opportunity for your service department.
A typical dealership customer might ignore preventive maintenance and repairs that don't affect driveability. But ride-hailing drivers' vehicles contribute to their daily livelihood. For most of them, ride-hailing driving is not their sole occupation, but they supplement their income by driving at periods of peak demand.
And ride-hailing drivers are rated by their passengers on each ride; that's how Uber and Lyft maintain quality control. Drivers who do not maintain a high star rating are bumped off the system. A vehicle that has problems is a direct threat to its owner's income and well-being.