The 100,000th Porsche — a 912 Targa outfitted for police use — was produced and delivered on Dec. 21, 1966, at the company's Zuffenhause plant in Stuttgart, Germany.
It was remarkable milestone for the young brand. Just four years earlier, on April 3, 1962, the 50,000th Porsche rolled off the production line. Daily output at the time had reached about 50 cars.
The 100,000th car, with a silver dash plaque, was one of the first cabriolet Targas ever built. It was emblazoned with the word POLIZEI.
Porsche started output in March 1950 and began delivering police cars to some European countries in 1958.
Some 40 police cars, mainly 912 Targas and some six-cylinder Coupes, were delivered in 1967 alone.
That was the same year Japan deployed four 912 Coupes as police cars, one for each of the country's north, south, east and west highways. They were faster than anything else on the road in Japan at that time.