Pamela Mader, 41
Plant Manager, Moraine Assembly, General Motors
Education: B.S., industrial technology, Purdue University
What your college professors didn't teach you: "The value of integrity. In my mind it is very important in everything you do."
First automotive job: First-line production supervisor at GM's Fort Wayne, Ind., assembly plant in 1986
Career highlights (all with GM)
- 1998-2001 Assistant plant manager, Moraine (Ohio) Assembly
- 1996-98 Area manager, general assembly, vehicle manufacturing, Moraine Assembly
- 1994-96 Area manager, paint shop, Fort Wayne (Ind.) Assembly
- 1991-94 Production superintendent, Fort Wayne Assembly
- 1990-91 General supervisor, material, Fort Wayne Assembly
- 1989-90 General supervisor, production, Fort Wayne Assembly
- 1986-89 Supervisor, production, truck group, Fort Wayne Assembly
Most fun automotive job: "The one I have now."
Biggest mistake and what you learned: "Learning to balance work and home."
Proudest achievement: "The competitive position we've been able to get the organization into. When you look at it, we've been able to achieve the award as the most competitive mid-sized SUV plant three years in a row."
Current challenge: "It is a highly competitive, leveraged industry. In those times, it is important we rise to the occasion as leaders and be more inspirational."
On being successful: "It is simply all about relationships and results and having integrity in your dealings. I operate with a lot of humor, and it is very important to have humility and not take yourself too seriously."
What about the auto industry surprised you: "The pace of manufacturing. And the intensity required to be successful is always present."
What women need to know for success in the auto industry: "Absolutely get the most talented people to work with you on a team to leverage differences. When I put a team together, I look for other strengths I don't possess."
Job to which you aspire: "I am personally fulfilled. I want to grow to be a better leader."
What you do to relax: "Our family likes to hike, and occasionally I like spa activity."