Jean Mayer, 46
Executive Director, Customer Relationship Management, ConsumerConnect, Ford Motor Co.
Education: Bachelor's, University of Michigan; M.B.A., operational research, Eastern Michigan University
First automotive job: Electronics Component Buyer, Electrical and Electronics Division, Ford, 1977
Proudest achievement: "In 1999 Purchasing developed a strategy to become our suppliers' 'customer of choice.' I was the champion for supplier relationships. With input from suppliers and Ford, our team developed value statements. These values are fundamental to obtaining our suppliers' best effort. Given the suppliers' increasing importance, the OE that gets the suppliers' best efforts will be the OE most competitive in cost, quality, technology and delivery."
On being successful: "There are four parts. Recognize the importance of relationships, accept responsibility to be a leader-teacher, champion values and have a genuine passion for your work."
On being a woman in the industry: "Seek opportunities working with leaders who embrace diversity of thought in accountable environments. I have been fortunate in that my bosses over the last 15 years are 'diversity of thought' models. They are also metrics-driven. Metrics are the real equal opportunity enabler."
Other positions at Ford include:
- 1997-2000 Executive Director, Manufacturing Procurement Operations, Global Purchasing
- 1996 Director, Strategic Planning and Process Leadership, Global Purchasing
- 1995 Director, Purchasing, Small and Medium Vehicle Center, Europe
- 1992-94 Manager, Program Planning, Purchasing
- 1990-92 Purchasing Agent, Electrical and Electronics, Pu