Jane Warner, 53
Managing Director, Global Automotive Industry, EDS
Education: B.A., business, Michigan State University; M.A., education, Michigan State University; Master of management, Stanford University
First automotive job: In human resources at Chevrolet Engineering Center, Warren, Mich., in 1973
Proudest achievement: "I've had a series of successful accomplishments imbedded in three careers within the automotive industry. I've been an executive with General Motors in manufacturing and engineering; I've been president of a mid-sized automotive supplier; and now I'm able to leverage that experience at EDS as managing director of the global automotive practice."
On being successful: "It's because I have been focused on success. I've been tenacious and yet have been flexible in doing what it took to accomplish my objectives."
On being a woman in the industry: "I think it has pluses and minuses. Being a woman in automotive is wonderful because many times doors open because you are a woman - maybe they're looking for a woman's point of view or maybe they are interested in diversity. That has opened a lot of doors for me. On the other hand, there still is a very strong cultural bias toward the way men are used to doing business. It continues to be a challenge for women to fit into that bias acceptably. The most important thing is that you are focused and responsible for your career; that you put yourself into the best possible situation, contribute and grow; and, if circumstances change, that you are flexible enough and have enough foresight to move on."
- 2000 President, JWARNERINC., Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
- 1994-99 Executive VP, Textron Automotive Co. Inc., Troy, Mich.
- 1998-99 President, Kautex Textron North America, a division of Textron Automotive Co. Inc.
- 1994-98 President, Randall Textron (now part of Kautex Textron North America), Troy, Mich.
Positions at General Motors include:
- 1991-93 Assistant Chief Engineer and Future Product Manager, Camaro/Firebird Platform, Warren, Mich.
- 1985 Program Controller, 2.5-liter Engine, Pontiac, Pontiac, Mich