The latest research suggests that fewer people are test driving new vehicles before they buy. This tendency is especially true when there are purchase guarantees. Wouldn't it be great to be able to hire people with no interview? Unfortunately, there are no "new employee" guarantees where you can get your money back. So, interviewing is a necessity.
At organizations that have worked hard to create cultures where employees love to come to work, the interview process is extensive. They are protective of their culture and team dynamics. As a result, a candidate may endure four or more interviews to make sure they are a good fit. Can you imagine a person test driving a car four or more times before deciding whether to buy? I can see the "holy smokes" eye-rolling from here ... make up your mind already, right? But hiring for the correct fit is crucial for building a great place to work. These employee "test drives" are super important and a key ingredient to having high employee engagement.
Our firm, Best Companies Group, again conducted the research to determine which U.S. dealerships were good enough to make Automotive News' list of Best Dealerships To Work For. This is by far the most challenging of the more than 60 lists we research. That's because, at 7 percentage points, the difference between No. 1 and No. 100 is pretty small. This is a super competitive list.
Answers to the employer questionnaire make up 25 percent of the evaluation. The other 75 percent is based on what the employees told us in the employee engagement and satisfaction survey. Keep in mind that the rankings fluctuate each year based on several factors including dealer scores, the number of participants, and the mixture of new participants and repeats. Variations in these factors can have a big impact on which dealerships make the list, and perhaps more noticeably, the change in ranking positions of repeat winners.
Here is the list of top drivers that have the biggest impact on employee engagement in the auto dealership world. Think about how your team might feel if improvement was made in these areas. It's powerful information that could make a big difference in your dealership.
1. Feeling like they are part of a team working toward a shared goal
2. Having confidence in the leaders of the dealership
3. Liking the type of work that they do
4. The dealership treating them like a person, not a number
5. Most days, feeling like they have made progress at work
6. Having fun at work
7. Being satisfied with the organization's benefits package
8. The handling of personal issues by their supervisor
9. Quality being a dealership top priority
10. Feeling valued at the dealership.
With the average employee engagement scores for these winners being north of 95 percent — 41 percent is the average for businesses in the U.S. — these winners are truly awesome places to work.
They should be proud. They understand that creating memorable experiences, hiring for cultural fit and being transparent and trustworthy has created a group of employees bent on success for the dealership, themselves and, perhaps most importantly, the customer.
Congratulations to the 100 Best Dealerships to Work For.