The Stutz Series A roadster was powered by a 390-cubic-inch, 60-hp straight-four engine produced by Wisconsin Motor Co.
Harry C. Stutz, who founded Stutz Motor Co. and also had three cars in the race, agreed to supply the pace car at Fisher's request. It may have been the first such direct manufacturer arrangement in American racing history.
Stutz Motor, of Indianapolis, was known as a producer of fast cars -- some call them America's first quintessential sports cars -- and luxury cars. Production began in 1911 and continued until 1935.