April is National Distracted Driving Awareness Month. And oh, are we ever distracted while driving, as several studies have found.
Here is a roundup of some reasons why you need to drive defensively.
- 66 percent of drivers make a phone call, 56 percent text while in parking lots. On average, 50,000 crashes per year occur in parking lots.
- Drivers who consume food or drink while driving are 3.6 times more likely to be involved in a collision.
- Drivers who apply makeup or fix their hair while driving are 3 times more likely to be involved in a collision.
- 30 percent of Americans admit to driving over the speed limit.
- 8 percent admit to fixing their appearance while behind the wheel.
- Percent who said they concentrate on the road while driving: baby boomers — 46 percent; millennials — 35 percent.
Source: National Safety Council poll; Lytx; Travelers Insurance; Finder.com