DETROIT -- Cobo Center has locked in the Detroit auto show for the next eight years. The two parties signed a contract that will keep the auto show at the Detroit riverfront event space through 2025, Cobo's management firm SMG announced Tuesday.
Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Cobo, which opened in 1960, has hosted the show since 1965.
This is only the second multi-year agreement signed between the convention center and auto show, the first being a five-year deal signed in 2012. Prior to that, the city was in danger of losing the growing auto show, one of the region's most valuable assets.
The new deal includes the official auto show kick-off events The Gallery and Charity Preview and a nearly $10 million collection of luxury and supercar brands. NAIAS will also add 30,000 square feet to the Automobili-D exhibit, bringing it to 150,000 square feet. The exhibit will run during the media and industry previews and first weekend of the public show, according to a news release.
"With the leadership and work of the Detroit Regional Convention Facility Authority, along with SMG, Cobo Center is truly a world-class venue," Rod Alberts, executive director of the Detroit show, said in the release. "The significant renovation has allowed the auto show to expand our footprint and has provided us with the perfect facility to host thousands of international journalists, industry executives and over 800,000 public show attendees."
Cobo has become a convention hot spot following a $279 million renovation and a rebranding to focus on the visitor's experience. Last month, SMG renewed its management contract for the convention center for $1.2 million.
"The future is very bright for Cobo Center, and we are thrilled to have the NAIAS here for years to come," Cobo Center General Manager Claude Molinari said in the release. "The DRCFA's vision of a world class convention center has been realized."
The 2018 auto show is set for Jan 14-28.