The Takata airbag inflator recalls have expanded bit by bit since they first were issued in 2008. They now include some 29 million defective inflators in vehicles in the U.S. spanning the 2000 to 2015 model years. Some vehicles have been recalled more than once because of early replacement parts from Takata that may carry the same defect. And many vehicles need both driver- and passenger-side inflators replaced. Those factors make it difficult to pinpoint the exact number of vehicles involved. Here's a look at each manufacturer's exposure, based on recall reports filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, automakers' estimates of how many of their vehicles are affected and estimated completion rates for recall work.
BMW (Completion rate as of Dec. 31, 2015: 9%*)• Driver-side inflators: 1.26 million
• Passenger-side inflators: 574,007
• Key models: 3 series, 5 series, X5
Daimler (0%*) • Driver-side inflators: 850,223
• Passenger-side inflators: 40,055
• Key models: Mercedes-Benz C class, E class, GL class, ML class, vans from Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner
Fiat Chrysler (13%) • Driver-side inflators: 4.16 million
• Passenger-side inflators: 689,000
• Key models: Chrysler 300, Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger, Ram pickups
Ford (5%*) • Driver-side inflators: 1.38 million
• Passenger-side inflators: 361,692
• Key models: Ford Mustang, Ranger
About 1.5 million Ford vehicles in total are affected, Ford says.
General Motors (0%*) • Driver-side inflators: 180,000
• Passenger-side inflators: 330,198
• Key models: Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra 2500-3500, Pontiac Vibe, Saab 9-3
American Honda (39%*) • Driver-side inflators: 8.51 million
• Passenger-side inflators: 4.09 million
• Key models: Honda Accord, Civic, CR-V; Acura TL, MDX, RDX
Honda says all vehicles needing passenger-side replacements also need driver-side replacements.
Mazda (4%*) • Driver-side inflators: 462,047
• Passenger-side inflators: 406,882
• Key models: Mazda6, B-series pickup, RX-8
Mazda says about 90% of its affected vehicles need both passenger- and driver-side replacements.
Mitsubishi (13%) • Passenger-side inflators: 82,784
• Key models: Lancer, Lancer Evolution
Nissan (24%*) • Passenger-side inflators: 1.11 million
• Key models: Nissan Sentra, Pathfinder; Infiniti I35, FX35
Subaru (4%) • Passenger-side inflators: 436,191
• Key models: Impreza, Legacy, Outback
Toyota (18%) • Driver-side inflators: 159,700
• Passenger-side inflators: 3.04 million
• Key models: Corolla, Matrix, RAV4, Sequoia
Volkswagen Group (0%*) • Driver-side inflators: 850,000
• Key models: Audi A3, Q5; VW Passat, Golf, Jetta SportWagen
*Announced significant Takata recalls and/or expansions in 2016, for which replacement parts are not yet available.
Source: NHTSA, automakers
- Back to Top -