Six Lexus vehicles
Lexus topped all other brands with six vehicles winning in their respective categories, with Toyota coming in second with five. There are 22 vehicle categories in all.
Subaru and Chevrolet won three categories, while Porsche won two. Honda and Jeep each had one, while Tesla won its first award in the plug-in vehicle category for the Model S.
While Toyota and Chevrolet had more individual vehicles topping their segments on projected residual values, Subaru won as best resale value brand. KBB determines residual values for each 2016 vehicle. The brand winners -- mainstream brand and luxury brand -- are determined by taking the average 60-month residual value of all of the 2016 vehicles in that brand’s lineup.
KBB gives out the resale value awards based on its own projections for vehicles in average condition retaining the highest percentage of the sticker price after five years.
KBB said an average 2016 vehicle will retain about 34.8 percent of its value after five years. In contrast, the vehicle with the highest projected residual value, the Toyota Tacoma, is forecast to retain 61.7 percent of its sticker price after five years.
The Best Resale Value awards were established by KBB in 2003. The awards do not include vehicles with a low volume or those with an MSRP greater than $60,000, with the exception of the luxury, plug-in vehicle and high-performance categories.
2016 KBB Best Resale Value award winners by category:
• Subcompact car: Honda Fit
• Compact car: Subaru Impreza
• Sporty compact car: Subaru WRX
• Midsize car: Subaru Legacy
• Full-size car: Toyota Avalon
• Entry-level luxury car: Lexus RC
• Luxury car: Lexus GS
• High-end luxury car: Porsche Panamera
• Sports car: Chevrolet Camaro LT
• High-performance car: Chevrolet Camaro SS
• Hybrid/alternative energy car: Lexus ES 300h
• Plug-in vehicle: Tesla Model S
• Compact SUV/crossover: Jeep Wrangler
• Midsize SUV/crossover: Toyota 4Runner
• Full-size SUV/crossover: Chevrolet Tahoe
• Luxury compact SUV/crossover: Porsche Macan
• Luxury midsize SUV/crossover: Lexus GX 460
• Luxury full-size SUV/crossover: Lexus LX 570
• Hybrid SUV/crossover: Lexus RX 450h
• Midsize pickup truck: Toyota Tacoma
• Full-size pickup truck: Toyota Tundra
• Minivan/van: Toyota Sienna