With most of its small and high-volume models redesigned, Nissan will begin rolling out freshened and re-engineered versions of its larger models and trucks.
In addition, over the next two years, Nissan will bring its lower-volume products up to date and take another step into hybrid-electric models.
Nissan will deliver a new-generation Murano crossover, Maxima sedan and Titan and Frontier pickups. It will also offer a hybrid version of the Rogue crossover for the first time.
Nissan faces decisions on whether to bring a trio of proposed vehicles to market. The company remains uncertain about whether its long-discussed e-NV200 electric compact commercial van, on sale in Europe, makes sense for U.S. dealerships.
Also far from certain is the future of the IDx concept small car, unveiled in late 2013 with assurances that it will be commercialized. And Nissan has vowed to bring its BladeGlider electric sports car concept to market, with a nontraditional arrow shape that features a narrower front end than rear.
Nissan's 2012-14 wave of redesigns covered 75 percent of its U.S. sales volume. The next two years will focus on reshaping the remaining 25 percent, and on keeping the larger-volume products fresh.
Murano: The redesigned third-generation Murano will reach showrooms at the end of this year as a 2015 model. In a bid to give the new version the same visual impact it had when it debuted in 2002, Nissan's San Diego design studio emphasized the crossover's curvaceous body lines with pronounced creases and created a sharper, floating roofline over concealed D-pillars.
The model also gets a touch more interior elegance and technology in a bid for more high-end buyers, including turn-by-turn navigation. Its new predictive forward-collision system, previously available only in Infiniti models, reacts to traffic activity two cars ahead by automatically braking when necessary. The crossover will receive a panoramic moonroof, customizable lighting, climate-controlled seats and enlarged instrument gauges and center stack. It will be available in S, SV, SL and Platinum trim levels, with each available in front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive.
Murano CrossCabriolet: Nissan will drop the high-end convertible Murano at the end of the 2014 model year, with no plan to resurrect it.