- Brands: Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, Jaguar, Porsche, Maserati, Smart, Sprinter, Infiniti
- Dealer: Tommy Baker
- Dealership group: Baker Motor Co.
- Full-time employees: 143
- 2012 new-vehicle sales: 927, up 22%
- Benefit highlight: Top performers get paid vacations, paid time off, bonuses and awards.
- Cool perk: The dealer sends every employee a card and $100 on his or her birthday.
- Matthew Scoggins, director of operations, on showing employees that they are valued: "The company recognizes achievement at our companywide employee luncheons, in newsletters and through one-on-one conversations. During the luncheons, key employees are given trophies for their success and a gift card to local restaurants and shopping destinations. The company strongly encourages managers to recognize their employees."
- Scoggins on changes in response to staff requests: "In the past two years, we have invested over $20,000 in outdoor furniture and plants behind the dealership for employees. Specifically, we added five picnic tables, seven benches, trash receptacles and two cigarette urns. We added window boxes filled with flowers to our reconditioning center after completely stuccoing the building.
"We have also invested in our employees' health. We have a nurse practitioner visit once a month so that employees who may not otherwise visit a doctor have someone to give them a general checkup -- even if they don't feel they have time to visit their own primary care provider. We added two personal trainers -- one part time and one full time -- to help encourage employees to have a more active lifestyle. Employees are free to participate in group exercises throughout the day, one-on-one sessions with a personal trainer, or stop by and ask questions. We just concluded our first Baker Fit Challenge, where we rewarded those who changed their exercise and eating habits the most -- paying cash prizes and giving away merchandise, hotel stays and dinners at local restaurants."