DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co., seeking to maintain marketing momentum for its current vehicle lineup, will spend more on advertising and marketing in the next six months compared with current levels, says marketing chief Jim Farley.
In an interview Thursday, Farley declined to say how much more Ford plans to spend. The additional advertising will tout Ford’s new vehicles.
The higher spending is not meant to counter recent advertising hikes announced by General Motors Co. and Toyota Motor Corp., he said. For more than a year, Ford has planned the higher level of spending during this period.
“Our competitors are having to do this because they lost share or they’ve got to regain confidence,” Farley said. “We’re in a completely different place in the sense that people are interested in Ford, and so our job is to educate them more.”
Ford has stood out as the only U.S. automaker to survive outside bankruptcy. Chrysler Group emerged from bankruptcy in June and GM exited in July.
The marketing push will augment advertising on vehicles launched during the last year. The advertising also is intended to hold consumers’ attention until the company’s next important new product, the 2011 Ford Fiesta small car, arrives next year, he said.
“We have a new lineup,” Farley said. “And people have been driving those products, the Tauruses, the F-150s, the Flexes, for a year now or more in some cases. And it’s our chance to tell people what they think about the products on the road.”
The ads will carry Ford’s “Drive One” tagline, but Farley wouldn’t say anything more about their content. They will air during the fourth quarter of this year and first quarter of next year. Farley wouldn’t specify a start date.