The glitch, which the National Automobile Dealers Association reported began around 11:30 a.m. Monday morning, has made it nearly impossible for dealers to submit deals for reimbursement on what was slated to be the final day of the four-week program.
The Obama administration is continuing to try to address the Web site blockage, Zuckman said.
The Web site will not be fully functional before tomorrow morning, she said in an e-mailed statement tonight.
The 8 p.m. deadline for consumers to make deals passed without being extended.
Zuckman said dealers would be afforded as much time to file claims starting Tuesday as they lost to the outage that began Monday.
Dealers should be assured that they will be provided time to submit pending deals equivalent to the time that was lost this afternoon while the system was down, she said.
Asked if that meant the Tuesday noon deadline would be extended, she replied in an e-mail: Yes.
Dealers submitted 635,186 claims for $2.65 billion in rebates as of early Monday morning, putting the potential government expenditures close to the $3 billion limit.
The Transportation Department has previously said it expected filings to fall short of the $3 billion limit. It hasnt updated this expectation since reporting the last claims figures. Nor has the department said whether dealers will be paid if this limit is breached.
The administration would have to go to Congress for more funding if it is to pay dealers for claims filed that exceed the $3 billion limit