WASHINGTON -- Dealers rebate claims on cash-for-clunkers transactions have continued a steady climb so far this week.
Dealers have submitted 316,189 claims totaling $1.33 billion as of this morning, Aug. 12, the U.S. Department of Transportation said.
The amount sought has increased by $179 million from $1.15 billion on Monday, Aug. 10, or an average of $89.5 million a day for the last two days.
The data show claims filed by dealers for transactions dating as far back as July 1, when the federal program began. Dealers could start submitting claims on July 27.
The statistics dont reflect how many of those claims have been rejected or how much has been reimbursed by the government to dealers for claims.
A number of dealers have complained that they havent yet been paid for long-standing deals.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood has said that payments started going out Aug. 4 and that computer and processing problems have largely been ironed out.