Ford Motor Co. will lay off an undisclosed number of salaried employees this summer and hopes to complete the reductions by Aug. 1, a spokesman told Automotive News today.
Earlier today, Detroit media reported that Ford would cut 10 to 12 percent of its salaried work force, or more than 2,000 employees.
Were not going to comment on internal discussions were having with our employees, Ford spokesman Mark Truby said. As soon as we finalize some of these details, were going to tell our employees as quickly as we can.
Because Ford wants the cuts made by August, the company doesnt expect to offer voluntary packages, Truby said.
Last week Ford abandoned its goal of returning to profitability by 2009 amid slumping U.S. light-truck sales. It also made sweeping production cuts, slashing output by 15 percent in the second quarter compared with the same quarter last year. Third- and fourth-quarter production will plunge as much as 20 percent and 8 percent, respectively.
Ford said it will have more details about how it planned to cut costs by July.
The automaker entered this year's launch cycle with one-third third fewer salaried workers than it had earlier this decade.