TOKYO - As Toyota Motor Corp. strengthens its global operations, it is trimming, not boosting, the number of non-Japanese at the top.
Three of six non-Japanese who are managing officers at Toyota's Japanese parent company plan to retire in June. One non-Japanese will be promoted to that rank.
Managing officer is one level below board director. With the announced changes, four of Toyota's 75 top executives will not be Japanese.
The retirees include Toyota's two top Europeans.
The retirees are:
- Takis Athanasopoulos, executive vice president and COO of Toyota Motor Europe.
- Alan Jones, chairman of Toyota Motor Manufacturing (UK) Ltd.
- John Conomos, executive chairman of Toyota Motor Corp. Australia Ltd.
Toyota's other non-Japanese managing officers are:
- Jim Press, president of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc.
- Gary Convis, president of Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky Inc.
- Ray Tanguey, president of Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada Inc.
You may e-mail James B. Treece at [email protected]