10 signs that Toyota Motor Corp. will conquer the world
1. In its dealings with the public and press, Toyota sounds more confident and less modest.
2. Toyota earns record profits from building and selling vehicles, not vehicle financing and nonautomotive operations.
3. R&D spending tops that of General Motors.
4. Two generations of Toyota hybrid technology are already on the road.
5. It can afford to pass on the NASCAR Nextel Cup.
6. Nearly every Toyota assembly plant is operating at or above capacity.
7. Its percentage of low-profit fleet sales is in single digits. GM's fleet sales, by comparison, are 30 percent of U.S. sales.
8. Toyota's per-unit sales incentives in the United States are less than half of the Big 3 average.
9. GM and Ford's combined profits for 2004 and 2003 are less than Toyota's profits for 2004 alone.
10. Toyota now aims to build stylish vehicles, not just plain but reliable ones.