FRANKFURT -- Public prosecutors in Brunswick, Germany, have widened their probe into suspected corruption at Volkswagen AG, a spokesman for the prosecutors said on Tuesday.
Spokesman Klaus Ziehe said former VW works council member and current chief executive of soccer club VfL Wolfsburg, Bernd Sudholt, along with the head of Audi's works council Xaver Meier were being investigated for suspected misappropriation of company funds.
"There is the suspicion that the accused took part in an event possibly unrelated to business purposes," Ziehe told Reuters. Neither Sudholt nor Meier were immediately available for comment.
A third, unnamed person was also being investigated for the same reason, Ziehe said.
The investigation in the VW affair now includes nine people.
Earlier this month, prosecutors said Volkswagen's ex-personnel chief and the architect of German labor market reforms Peter Hartz had become a suspect in the investigation.
The scandal that erupted earlier this year at Volkswagen cost the jobs of Hartz and the carmaker's powerful works council boss, Klaus Volkert, who is also being investigated.
Hartz has rejected allegations that he bought the consent of senior labor leaders as "absurd". Volkert resigned from the works council but said he did not enrich himself at the firm's expense.