LONDON -- Private equity firm the Carlyle Group wants to bid for German diesel-engine manufacturer MTU Friedrichshafen and has approached families that own part of it to get included in the auction, a person familiar with the situation said on Tuesday.
DaimlerChrysler controls roughly 88 percent of MTU Friedrichshafen and has said it wants to sell the unit. Germany's Maybach and Zeppelin families hold the remaining 12 percent and have a right of veto.
German industrial group MAN AG, which is currently the only party in serious talks with Daimler, said last month it could make a decision on the potential acquisition of MTU Friedrichshafen in the third quarter.
Daimler had ruled out financial investors at the start of the sale process in May, the Financial Times Deutscheland newspaper reported earlier.
Carlyle "is very keen" to bid for the business, the source said.
Carlyle declined to comment.
A spokeman for Daimler Chrysler reiterated that the auto company wants to sell the business, but added that any buyer "has to secure the future of MTU Friedrichshafen."