TURIN -- Fiat Auto factory workers have called a four-hour strike in December to protest against the company's turnaround plan, which they say does not do enough to guarantee jobs.
"The plan is insufficient when it comes to product. And Fiat must resolve once and for all the issue of its alliance with GM, which is preventing it from forging others," said Bruno Vitali, the head of the Fim-Cisl metalworkers' union.
General Motors owns 10 percent of Fiat Auto, and the two carmakers have joint ventures in powertrains and purchasing. Fiat has an option to sell the remaining 90 percent of the carmaker to GM from January.
Fiat has said it does not plan to close any factories or cut jobs.
"We must keep the public's attention on Fiat," Vitali added.
The strike, due in the first half of December, is the latest in a series of actions unions have taken to protest against Fiat's turnaround plan.