FRANKFURT -- Volkswagen AG and Maserati Spa dismissed on Friday a report that Europe's biggest carmaker had decided not to use the Italian sports car group's Quattroporte model as the platform for its new C1 luxury car.
The proposal was part of a broader plan initialled a year ago for the Volkswagen/Audi group and Maserati, which is part of Fiat's luxury Ferrari unit, to explore cooperation on technology, commercial operations and financial services.
"As far as Maserati is concerned, I can say the relationship is still alive and we are close to the point of deciding what to do and how to continue," spokesman Maurizio Primo said, adding a final decision should emerge in the next few weeks.
A Volkswagen spokesman quoted Chief Executive Bernd Pischetsrieder as saying this week that the deal was still open but that no decisions had been taken.
In an unsourced report, Italian newspaper Il Giornale said Volkswagen had scrapped the idea of using the four-door Quattroporte as the platform for a model that would compete with the BMW 5-series and Mercedes E-Class.
"The Germans in fact chose neighbour Porsche AG to develop the new model," the paper reported.