DETROIT General Motors is rolling out a crisis plan to all of its suppliers and dealers worldwide.
GM is not mandating the crisis management guideline, nor offering incentives to execute it.
Were strongly recommending that they implement something, said Rick Dufour, associate administrator of executive protection for GMs global security.
With their contracts with General Motors, they are committed to supply us. If they dont have plans like this in place, then theyll be unable to supply us if something happens.
Dufour would not comment on whether suppliers without a crisis plan would risk losing future business. GM, Ford Motor Co., DaimlerChrysler AG and at least nine suppliers developed the guideline through the Automotive Industry Action Group in response to events such as the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and last years power outage in the Northeast.
Ford and DaimlerChrysler do not plan to introduce the crisis guideline to their suppliers or dealers yet.
Its under consideration how well roll it out to suppliers, according to Rolf Sletten of Fords executive operations. The guideline, called Crisis Management for Automotive Suppliers, outlines how to coordinate emergency response and recovery plans, and how to train an employee team.
We estimate that 70 percent of suppliers dont even have a plan in place, said Andrew Cummins, executive director of the Automotive Industry Action Group in Southfield, Mich. The other 30 percent of the plans are sitting on a shelf.
Cummins, Dufour, Sletten and Cam Hill of DaimlerChryslers special security services spoke at an Automotive Press Association event on Jan. 21 in Detroit. None of them would estimate the cost of implementing the crisis guideline.
If you put a few bucks behind it, Cummins said, in the long run, youll save millions of dollars.
Suppliers that helped develop the guideline included Dana Corp., Federal-Mogul Corp., Robert Bosch Corp. and American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings Inc.