* Born April 17, 1937 to Anton Piëch and Louise Porsche, the daughter of Ferdinand Porsche.
* Joined Porsche AG on April 1, 1963. Named head of Porsche r&d in 1968 and technical director in 1971. He was the father of the immortal Porsche 917 sports racing car.
* Moved to Audi-NSU in August, 1972, managing the special projects department. Named head of r&d in 1975. Led development of diesel engines, five-cylinder gasoline engines, quattro all-wheel-drive system.
* Named CEO of Audi in January 1988.
* Named chairman of Volkswagen AG in January 1993.
* Elected chairman of the supervisory board of Volkswagen AG on April 15, 2002.