HIGHLANDS, N.C. - George Elges, 76, retired General Motors vice president, died Aug. 2. He joined GM in 1940 as a parts racker at a Cadillac plant in Detroit. He served in the Army from 1942-46 and graduated from General Motors Institute in Flint, Mich., in 1950. He became general manager of Cadillac in 1969 and of Buick in 1973.
He was promoted to vice president in charge of the Car and Truck Group in 1975 and headed the Mechanical Components Group from 1978 until he retired in 1980.
While at Buick in 1974, Elges repurchased from American Motors an entire V-6 engine manufacturing line that Buick had sold to Kaiser Jeep in 1967. The line was needed for the small cars spawned by the 1973 oil embargo. The line was brought back from Toledo, Ohio, and installed in Flint for use in 1975 Buicks. The transfer took 137 days. The normal time for such a project was 18 months.