Dealership: Pat Patterson Motor Sales in Memphis, Tenn.
Years in business: 30
Exit strategy: Patterson is semiretired but remains dealer principal. He developed a succession plan whereby upon his death or retirement his sons will divide 75 percent of the company; one will serve as chairman. The dealership's general manager will receive the remaining 25 percent of the company.