Some Chinese automotive suppliers are no longer content just to export products to North America. Now, they're building factories or buying companies to manufacture parts here. Here's a selection of deals since December.
- Wanfeng Auto Holding Group acquired Canada's Meridian Lightweight Technologies, the No. 1 global supplier of lightweight magnesium castings.
- Fuyao Glass Industry Group Co., China's biggest automotive glass producer, plans to build a $200 million glass factory in General Motors' shuttered Moraine, Ohio, plant.
- Wanxiang Group Co., China's largest producer of chassis components, acquired bankrupt Fisker Automotive and aims to resume vehicle production.
- The corporate parent of Yapp Automotive Parts Co., China's largest supplier of plastic fuel tanks, acquired ABC Group Fuel Systems in Tennessee.
- Yanfeng Automotive Trim Systems Co. took a 70% stake in a new $7.5 billion joint venture with Johnson Controls to produce interior trim.