This week: Register for FREE subscriber access to autonews.com

Ford expects 'significant' Q2 loss in South America

DETROIT (Reuters) -- Ford Motor Co. said it expected to incur a "significant" loss in South America in the current quarter mainly due to low sales volumes and changes to Venezuela's foreign exchange rate.

The company is also expected to report a bigger loss in South America in 2014, Joe Hinrichs, executive vice-president, said on Wednesday.

The automaker's loss in South America deteriorated to $510 million in the first quarter ended March 31, from $218 million last year due to the currency devaluation in Venezuela and Argentina.

The Venezuelan government in March opened a new currency platform meant to boost access to dollars.

Ford's operations in Venezuela were disrupted last month due to a lack of foreign currency to import parts for assembly.

25

Shares

ATTENTION COMMENTERS: Over the last few months, Automotive News has monitored a significant increase in the number of personal attacks and abusive comments on our site. We encourage our readers to voice their opinions and argue their points. We expect disagreement. We do not expect our readers to turn on each other. We will be aggressively deleting all comments that personally attack another poster, or an article author, even if the comment is otherwise a well-argued observation. If we see repeated behavior, we will ban the commenter. Please help us maintain a civil level of discourse.

Newsletters