GM expects to release recall reports at same time, AP says

GM CEO Mary Barra promised lawmakers that she would return to Capitol Hill to brief them on the findings of the company's internal probe.
PRIMER
Related Links
Related Stories
Related Topics

DETROIT -- General Motors CEO Mary Barra told lawmakers that GM plans to release its long-awaited ignition switch recall investigation simultaneously with its plan for compensating victims of the flawed part, The Associated Press reported today, citing an unnamed congressional aide.

Barra met with key lawmakers in Washington on Wednesday to update them on GM's ignition switch recall efforts. The defective part has been linked to at least 13 deaths and has prompted numerous investigations and lawsuits along with bipartisan congressional scrutiny. 

The CEO also told lawmakers that GM can't keep up with demand for replacement parts, the aide told AP. GM expects to catch up by July and will then launch a campaign encouraging customers to bring in their vehicles for the recall work, the AP said.

Barra met with Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., who chairs a subcommittee that is investigating GM's handling of the defect. McCaskill delivered some of the most pointed questions to Barra during the CEO's appearance before the panel last month.

GM spokesman Greg Martin confirmed that Barra visited members of congress, which was reported earlier by The Detroit News. Since becoming CEO, Martin said Barra has made visits to congressional members to discuss issues that are important to them. He declined to elaborate on the discussions.

Barra also met with Rep. Fred Upton, R-Mich., chair of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, and other lawmakers several weeks ago, The News said.

House and Senate committees, along with the U.S. Justice Department and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, are investigating why it took GM more than a decade to recall the cars with a faulty ignition switch.

Barra promised lawmakers during the hearings that she would return to Capitol Hill to brief them on the findings of the company's internal probe. That investigation, led by Jenner & Block Chairman Anton Valukas, is expected to wrap up within a few weeks.

Contact Automotive News


advertising
Have an opinion about this story? Click here to submit a Letter to the Editor, and we may publish it in print.

Or submit an online comment below. (Terms and Conditions)


Newsletters & Alerts
Latest Headlines