August 2, 2013 - 12:01 am ET In July 2013, General Motors completed the purchase of the historic "Factory 1" in Flint, Mich. It was the home of the Flint Road Cart Company, founded by William Durant and Josiah Dallas Dort in 1886. The company later became Durant-Dort Carriage Co. In 1908, Durant founded General Motors. Now, more than 100 years later, GM has taken over Durant's old carriage-assembly site, with plans for a possible museum. It also agreed to help maintain the Durant-Dort office building across the street. Here's how this historic move unfolded, as told by the men who led the effort, GM North America President Mark Reuss and historian and author Kevin Kirbitz.