Cadenza is Kia's new U.S. flagship
Photo credit: BLOOMBERG
- 2012 European Automakers: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Volkswagen
- 2012 Chrysler-Fiat Future Product
- 2012 Japanese Automakers: Infiniti, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Suzuki
- 2012 Ford Product Plans
- 2012 Korean and Chinese Automakers Future Product
- 2012 European Automakers: Aston Martin, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Rolls-Royce, Smart, Volvo
- 2012 Japanese Automakers Product Plans: Acura, Honda, Lexus, Scion, Toyota
- 2012 GM Product Plans
DETROIT -- Kia today showed off the Cadenza sedan, a new range-topping U.S flagship that underscores the brand's upscale ambitions.
The Cadenza, sold in Korea as the K7, will go on sale in the second quarter.
Prices were not announced at the Detroit auto show unveiling. But the sedan will sit above the Kia Optima mid-sized sedan in price, size and content to become Kia's most-expensive model.
The Cadenza is powered by a standard 3.3-liter V-6 engine producing 293 hp and 255 pounds-feet of torque. Features include adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection and lane departure warning and leather interior.
"Since the introduction of the range-topping Optima SXL last year, we have seen an increasing number of customers in our retail outlets looking for a sedan with even more upscale amenities and technology," Michael Sprague, executive vice president of marketing for Kia Motors America, said in a statement prior to the auto show.
Tom Loveless, executive vice president of sales for Kia Motors America, said Kia is attracting more affluent customers who are choosing high-content Kia vehicles. About two thirds of Kia Optima sales in 2012 had transaction prices of $25,000 or more, Loveless said in an interview at the show. The Optima's starting price is $21,975, including freight.
The Cadenza shares a platform and powertrain with the Hyundai Azera. The Azera, which starts at $33,145, including freight, holds a similar place in Hyundai's lineup, slotting above the Hyundai's Sonata mid-sized sedan.
You can reach Ryan Beene at firstname.lastname@example.org. -- Follow Ryan on