Bentley's new flagship convertible blends opulence, performance
- 2012 European Automakers: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Volkswagen
- 2012 Chrysler-Fiat Future Product
- 2012 Japanese Automakers: Infiniti, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Suzuki
- 2012 Ford Product Plans
- 2012 Korean and Chinese Automakers Future Product
- 2012 European Automakers: Aston Martin, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Rolls-Royce, Smart, Volvo
- 2012 Japanese Automakers Product Plans: Acura, Honda, Lexus, Scion, Toyota
- 2012 GM Product Plans
DETROIT -- Bentley Motors now has the car for one percenters seeking that elusive combination of opulent, top-down driving and NASCAR speed: the Continental GT Speed Convertible.
Volkswagen AG's ultraluxury brand revealed its new flagship performance drop-top at the Detroit auto show today. Bentley says the Continental GT Speed Convertible is the world's fastest four-seat production convertible, with a top speed of 202 mph.
Bentley says the car's 616 hp twin-turbocharged 6.0-liter W-12 engine will hurtle the 5,500-pound car and its passengers from 0 to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds. The engine is paired with an eight-speed gearbox and power is directed to all four corners -- 60 percent to the rear and 40 percent to the front -- via a permanent all-wheel-drive system.
"The new GT Speed Convertible will appeal to drivers who seek the sensory thrills of the world's fastest four-seat soft-top and the practicality of a year-round grand tourer, together with unrivaled levels of luxury and refinement. It is designed for those who accept no compromise," Bentley CEO Wolfgang Schreiber said in a statement before the Detroit show.
The convertible is based on Bentley's Continental GT Speed coupe released last year.
Bentley's global sales grew 22 percent to 8,510 units last year. Its U.S. sales rose 23 percent 2,315 units.
You can reach Ryan Beene at email@example.com. -- Follow Ryan on