Toyota to unveil Furia concept at Detroit
- 2012 European Automakers: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Volkswagen
- 2012 Chrysler-Fiat Future Product
- 2012 Japanese Automakers: Infiniti, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Suzuki
- 2012 Ford Product Plans
- 2012 Korean and Chinese Automakers Future Product
- 2012 European Automakers: Aston Martin, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Rolls-Royce, Smart, Volvo
- 2012 Japanese Automakers Product Plans: Acura, Honda, Lexus, Scion, Toyota
- 2012 GM Product Plans
LOS ANGELES -- Could this be the next Corolla?
Toyota Division will show a concept vehicle -- code-named Furia -- at the Detroit auto show in January. Toyota officials declined to give details, other than to say the Furia is a sedan.
However, because the Yaris, Camry and Avalon sedans have all been redesigned in the last two years -- and the Corolla is due for a redesign in fall 2013 -- it is likely the Furia will give hints at the design direction for Toyota's compact sedan.
A teaser video shows a few close-ups of the headlights, taillights and rear deck of the Furia. Judging from that design language, the Furia has taken many of its cues from the recent Scion FR-S sports coupe.
One caveat: While Honda concepts often closely resemble the final production version of the car they preview, rival Toyota tends to be a bit more theoretical in its conceptual design language. So what is displayed onstage at Cobo Hall likely will be dialed down by the time it reaches dealerships.
You can reach Mark Rechtin at email@example.com. -- Follow Mark on