Acura plans MDX successor with 'aero sculpture' design
- 2012 European Automakers: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Volkswagen
- 2012 Chrysler-Fiat Future Product
- 2012 Japanese Automakers: Infiniti, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Suzuki
- 2012 Ford Product Plans
- 2012 Korean and Chinese Automakers Future Product
- 2012 European Automakers: Aston Martin, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Rolls-Royce, Smart, Volvo
- 2012 Japanese Automakers Product Plans: Acura, Honda, Lexus, Scion, Toyota
- 2012 GM Product Plans
LOS ANGELES -- Acura will introduce a prototype of the 2014 MDX mid-sized crossover in January at the Detroit auto show.
American Honda’s prototypes often closely resemble the production versions, so the concept should provide a clear idea of where Acura’s new “aero sculpture” design direction is headed.
That design language takes over from the “keen edge” styling that was criticized for producing Acura’s “beak” grille, among other styling cues.
“The 2014 MDX Prototype will feature alluring proportions with smooth, arching body lines matched to an efficient architecture,” the automaker said today in a statement.
The MDX is Acura’s volume leader and getting the redesign right is crucial for the premium brand’s sales, which have advanced 27 percent this year to 140,182 through November.
U.S. sales of the MDX totaled 45,785 units, up 18 percent through November, or 33 percent of Acura’s sales volume so far this year. Sales of the current generation MDX peaked at 58,606 units in 2007, just before the market collapse.
You can reach Mark Rechtin at email@example.com. -- Follow Mark on