Cadillac teases 2013 'glamour' concept car
- 2012 European Automakers: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Volkswagen
- 2012 Chrysler-Fiat Future Product
- 2012 Japanese Automakers: Infiniti, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Suzuki
- 2012 Ford Product Plans
- 2012 Korean and Chinese Automakers Future Product
- 2012 European Automakers: Aston Martin, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Rolls-Royce, Smart, Volvo
- 2012 Japanese Automakers Product Plans: Acura, Honda, Lexus, Scion, Toyota
- 2012 GM Product Plans
MONTEREY, Calif. -- Looking to recapture some of its past luster, Cadillac showed renderings of a concept car that will appear at a 2013 auto show.
The car is an attempt for the brand to "reflect back not for nostalgia, but what made us great at the time," said Clay Dean, Cadillac director of advanced design.
The concept could point to the future design direction of the brand, under the informal slogan of "American glamour meets American technology," Dean said. The renderings were briefly shown at a media gathering here late Thursday.
Dean did not say if the concept car was a hint at the proposed flagship rear-drive sedan meant to challenge the BMW 7 series and Mercedes-Benz S class. Mark Reuss, General Motors' president for North America, told Automotive News in May that a new flagship is on the table as GM maps its go-global strategy for Cadillac.
GM has 15 total design studios in the Detroit area -– and another in North Hollywood, Calif. Of those, seven (including North Hollywood) are working on Cadillac projects as the brand develops 10 new or refreshed products over the next three years, Dean said.
You can reach Mark Rechtin at email@example.com. -- Follow Mark on