Smart plans ForTwo successor in 2014
- 2012 European Automakers: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Volkswagen
- 2012 Chrysler-Fiat Future Product
- 2012 Japanese Automakers: Infiniti, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Suzuki
- 2012 Ford Product Plans
- 2012 Korean and Chinese Automakers Future Product
- 2012 European Automakers: Aston Martin, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Rolls-Royce, Smart, Volvo
- 2012 Japanese Automakers Product Plans: Acura, Honda, Lexus, Scion, Toyota
- 2012 GM Product Plans
Smart's sales have been rising since Mercedes-Benz took over the brand more than a year ago, but not fast enough. So the minicar brand will continue to tinker with new trims, wraps and accessories until its new vehicles begin to arrive in 2014.
The second-generation Smart two-seater and the successor to the Renault Twingo are being developed jointly with Renault.
ForTwo: The tiny two-seater will be replaced in 2014 with a vehicle co-developed with Renault.
ForTwo Electric: The new-generation ForTwo Electric goes on sale in the fourth quarter. It switches to lithium ion batteries made by Deutsche Accumotive GmbH, a joint venture between Daimler and Evonik Industries. It will have a range of 100 miles on a single charge, up from 63 for the previous generation. The top speed will jump from 60 mph to about 75.
ForFour: A four-seater based on the new ForTwo platform could go on sale in 2015. The vehicle would have a rear-mounted engine and rear-wheel drive.
You can reach Diana T. Kurylko at email@example.com. -- Follow Diana on