Toyota, Honda betting on performance, styling
- 2012 European Automakers: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Volkswagen
- 2012 Chrysler-Fiat Future Product
- 2012 Japanese Automakers: Infiniti, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Suzuki
- 2012 Ford Product Plans
- 2012 Korean and Chinese Automakers Future Product
- 2012 European Automakers: Aston Martin, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Rolls-Royce, Smart, Volvo
- 2012 Japanese Automakers Product Plans: Acura, Honda, Lexus, Scion, Toyota
- 2012 GM Product Plans
Toyota and Honda are striving to get people excited about their product lineups, with more adventurous styling and new performance models, while also playing a bit of catch-up.
The demands of the unintended-acceleration crisis put Toyota's engineers behind in some key technical areas. Meanwhile, Honda is eager to reassert its standing as a powerhouse of powertrains. Honda is launching its Earth Dreams engine family, and Toyota is focusing on direct injection, turbocharging and advanced transmissions.
In the luxury sphere, Lexus aims to improve its sedan offerings to match up better with Mercedes-Benz and BMW, while Acura targets premium rivals Audi, Buick, Infiniti and Volvo with a new compact sedan and a series of key redesigns.
Both Lexus and Acura have halo sports cars in the works. Acura is preparing a Ferrari-fighting NSX, and Lexus is likely to bring a high-performance coupe based on the wild and well received LF-LC concept.
Here are the plans for the 2013-2016 model years for Toyota, Lexus, Scion, Honda and Acura.