GM prices Cadillac ATS at $33,990
- 2012 European Automakers: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Volkswagen
- 2012 Chrysler-Fiat Future Product
- 2012 Japanese Automakers: Infiniti, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Suzuki
- 2012 Ford Product Plans
- 2012 Korean and Chinese Automakers Future Product
- 2012 European Automakers: Aston Martin, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Rolls-Royce, Smart, Volvo
- 2012 Japanese Automakers Product Plans: Acura, Honda, Lexus, Scion, Toyota
- 2012 GM Product Plans
DETROIT -- General Motors will price its new Cadillac ATS at $33,990 including shipping, just below the German rivals that GM is targeting with the new sports sedan.
The base price of the ATS, which goes on sale this summer, will be $1,805 less than the BMW 3 series and $1,685 less than the Mercedes C class.
The ATS will be pricier than the Audi A4, which stickers for $33,375 including shipping.
GM executives have been trumpeting the ATS, built on a new rear-wheel-drive platform, as Cadillac’s strongest challenger in years to the German luxury stalwarts. It’s Cadillac’s first entry since the 1980s in the compact segment, the highest-volume segment for luxury vehicles globally.
GM said it would release a full breakdown of pricing and packages closer to the car’s launch.
“The ATS enters a vehicle segment this year that’s one of the most competitive in the market, from both a price and performance standpoint,” Don Butler, vice president of Cadillac marketing, said in a statement. “ATS will bring a distinctive presence and compelling value while offering quick, nimble, fun-to-drive dynamics.”
The base ATS will get a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine mated to a next-generation six-speed transmission. It’s the only model that won’t come with available all-wheel-drive.
The mid-level model, which will get a 2.0-liter turbocharged engine that GM estimates will produce 270 hp, will be priced at $35,795, including shipping.
The top model, which will feature a 3.6-liter V-6 that provides 320 hp, will be priced at $42,090 with shipping.
You can reach Mike Colias at email@example.com.