Meet Porsche's new small SUV, the Macan
- 2012 European Automakers: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Volkswagen
- 2012 Chrysler-Fiat Future Product
- 2012 Japanese Automakers: Infiniti, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Suzuki
- 2012 Ford Product Plans
- 2012 Korean and Chinese Automakers Future Product
- 2012 European Automakers: Aston Martin, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Rolls-Royce, Smart, Volvo
- 2012 Japanese Automakers Product Plans: Acura, Honda, Lexus, Scion, Toyota
- 2012 GM Product Plans
DETROIT -- The small Porsche SUV that goes on sale about 18 months from now will wear the Macan nameplate, the German automaker said today.
Until now, the SUV project has been known by the code name Cajun, created from the concept of Cayenne Junior.
Porsche says Macan is "derived from the Indonesian word for tiger and combines suppleness, power, fascination and dynamics."
The Macan will share a platform with the Audi Q5. It will be built at the Porsche plant in Leipzig, Germany, that now builds the Cayenne.
Porsche is spending $650 million to expand the Leipzig plant with the addition of a body shop and a paint shop. Production of the Macan is set to start in fall 2013.