Buick's new crossover to carry Encore name
GM released this teaser shot of the Buick Encore, which it will show next month at the Detroit auto show.
Photo credit: BUICK
- 2012 European Automakers: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Volkswagen
- 2012 Chrysler-Fiat Future Product
- 2012 Japanese Automakers: Infiniti, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Suzuki
- 2012 Ford Product Plans
- 2012 Korean and Chinese Automakers Future Product
- 2012 European Automakers: Aston Martin, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Rolls-Royce, Smart, Volvo
- 2012 Japanese Automakers Product Plans: Acura, Honda, Lexus, Scion, Toyota
- 2012 GM Product Plans
DETROIT -- General Motors confirmed that Buick's new small crossover will be named the Encore.
GM on Wednesday also released a teaser shot of the production vehicle, which it will show next month at the Detroit auto show.
The crossover is expected for the 2013 model year. Industry sources have said it will be built on a version of GM's front-wheel-drive Gamma subcompact platform, which underpins the Opel Meriva MPV and Chevrolet Sonic.
The Encore will join the full-sized Enclave crossover and is part of GM's continued build-out of Buick's lineup.
The Verano, Buick's first compact car in more than a decade, began arriving in showrooms last month. The Regal mid-sized sedan was launched in 2010.
GM said it plans to reveal a photo of the Encore, little by little, on Buick's Facebook site, www.facebook.com/buick, in the weeks leading up to the Jan. 10 reveal at the auto show.
You can reach Mike Colias at email@example.com.