Volvo Concept You is a map to carmaker's future
- 2012 European Automakers: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Volkswagen
- 2012 Chrysler-Fiat Future Product
- 2012 Japanese Automakers: Infiniti, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Suzuki
- 2012 Ford Product Plans
- 2012 Korean and Chinese Automakers Future Product
- 2012 European Automakers: Aston Martin, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Rolls-Royce, Smart, Volvo
- 2012 Japanese Automakers Product Plans: Acura, Honda, Lexus, Scion, Toyota
- 2012 GM Product Plans
FRANKFURT -- The Volvo Concept You unveiled today at the Frankfurt auto show follows in the path of the Universe concept shown in Shanghai -- with more sporty styling and a strong emphasis in the interior.
Chief designer Peter Horbury says the fastback shape was dictated by customer preferences.
Although the Volvo Concept You has rear-opening "suicide doors" at the back, the platform is said to be the basis for all-new large and midsize Volvo cars in what's called "scalable platform architecture."
The car also portends the use of four-cylinder engines in all Volvo cars of the future. But despite the move away from six-cylinder engines, Volvo CEO Stephan Jacoby says the performance of the new four-cylinder family will be better than the engines it replaces, with better fuel consumption based on new technologies such as kinetic flywheels.
The Concept You has easy-to-use driver aid systems that will sense when they are required and automatically come into play. The Concept You also features interior design aspects that emphasize Scandinavian culture, with carpets from Kasthall and interior accents from Georg Jensen.