With gasoline prices spiking, inexpensive, fuel-efficient cars are likely to sell well, especially those that are re-engineered, redesigned or new to the market.
Here's a list of inexpensive "new" cars that will debut this year and are expected to meet or top that magic number, 40 mpg or better on the highway.
In some cases, only a specific model or trim level will hit 40 (or better). Never mind, 40 mpg (or better) will have a prominent place in advertising.
Here's a list of high mpg, inexpensive cars that will roll out over the next seven or eight months:
- 2012 Chevrolet Sonic (Aveo replacement), redesign, fall debut
- 2012 Ford Focus, redesign, cars are being shipped to dealers
- 2012 Kia Rio, redesign, second half of 2011
- 2012 Honda Civic, redesign, spring
- 2012 Hyundai Accent, redesign, spring
- 2012 Hyundai Veloster, new model, summer
- 2012 Scion iQ, new model, summer
- 2012 Toyota Yaris, redesign, fall
Timing is everything and "40" will be an automaker's lucky number this year.