Register now for free access to - this week only.

Who, where and how much?

We invite letters from our readers
We request that you limit your letter to 250 words, and we reserve the right to edit.

Unsigned letters will not be considered. Please include your telephone number.

Send letters to:


Automotive News

1400 Woodbridge

Detroit, MI 48207

Other ways to send letters:

Fax: (313) 446-0383


To the Editor:

John K. Teahen Jr. makes an excellent point in his Oct. 22 column, "There ought to be a license for sport-utility drivers," but it leads to some questions, specifically:

What knowledge should SUV drivers have in order to attain sufficient competence with their vehicles? What practical training and practice should they have?

Where do those people go now to learn what they need to know? How much does it cost? How much time is involved? Who gives the instruction? What makes the instructors qualified?

Other than the Land Rover program, I don't know of anyplace where one can turn to attain sufficient competence for sport-utilities.

Do you think that ought to change?



ATTENTION COMMENTERS: Over the last few months, Automotive News has monitored a significant increase in the number of personal attacks and abusive comments on our site. We encourage our readers to voice their opinions and argue their points. We expect disagreement. We do not expect our readers to turn on each other. We will be aggressively deleting all comments that personally attack another poster, or an article author, even if the comment is otherwise a well-argued observation. If we see repeated behavior, we will ban the commenter. Please help us maintain a civil level of discourse.