A. Subaru's George Muller
B. Toyota's Tatsuro Toyoda
C. GMC's Roy Roberts
D. Ford's Allan Gilmour
E. Oldsmobile's John Rock
F. Toyota's Dave Illingworth
G. Hyundai's D.O. Chung
H. Chrysler's Robert Lutz
I. Saturn's Don Hudler
J. Chrysler's Tom Pappert
K. UAW's Owen Bieber
L. Ford's Henry Ford II
M. Chrysler's Robert Eaton
N. GM's John Smale
O. Pontiac's John Middlebrook
What they said:
1. 'I am putting together a list in my mind. I am putting everything in there from taking piano lessons to losing weight. Some have said they couldn't figure out which was less likely.'
2. 'I'm a former Marine and I'm trained to kill.'
3. 'I've seen nine CEOs come and go. I've been the only stability in the industry.'
4. 'As I see it, the board's role is to act as an auditor of management - asking the tough questions that management might not ask itself when the company is doing well and is a recognized industry leader.'
5. 'Japan's automakers will continue to beat a path to the suppliers offering a competitive price.'
6. 'They asked me how old I was. I said: 'Old enough to wear a cowboy suit to a line meeting and get away with it.' '
7. 'The Neon says 'Hi!' If you saw a Sunfire, it would say 'Yo!' '
8. 'There isn't a person on this planet who needs to drive a GM vehicle in order to live.'
9. 'Harry Bennett was the dirtiest, lousiest son-of-a-bitch I ever met in my life save one - Iacocca.'
10. 'We found that our product quality was in effect hurting us because we lost contact with the customer.'
11. 'We've spent the last three years turning the corner.'
12. 'We're ready to build electric cars, but we're not in the battery business. Maybe we should follow the lead of Mattel Inc., the toy maker - put up a sign that says 'batteries not included.' '
13. 'We are obviously disappointed with the J.D. Power survey. Our quality is pretty good. But so is everyone else's. The public sees a list. Someone's first and someone's last. And that's it. There are no perfect cars, but customers demand it. Any defect that inconveniences a customer is a failure for us.'
14. 'I don't think Neon is a threat at all.'
15. '1994 was a very good year. It was a long time coming.'
1-D, 2-H, 3-K, 4-N, 5-B, 6-E, 7-O, 8-C, 9-L, 10-F, 11-G, 12-J, 13-M, 14-I, 15-A