Chrysler offers peek at next SRT Viper on Facebook
- 2012 European Automakers: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Volkswagen
- 2012 Chrysler-Fiat Future Product
- 2012 Japanese Automakers: Infiniti, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru and Suzuki
- 2012 Ford Product Plans
- 2012 Korean and Chinese Automakers Future Product
- 2012 European Automakers: Aston Martin, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Mini, Rolls-Royce, Smart, Volvo
- 2012 Japanese Automakers Product Plans: Acura, Honda, Lexus, Scion, Toyota
- 2012 GM Product Plans
DETROIT -- Chrysler Group has elevated the art of the striptease to a new level with the release of its first official image of the next-generation SRT Viper.
The image, released on the driveSRT Facebook page at 11:59 pm Monday, is a black-and-white line drawing showing portions of the roofline, hood line, headlights, and logo of the new performance coupe.
The Viper image was released after the automaker challenged Facebook users to “like” its driveSRT page at least 10,000 times. As of Monday evening, the Facebook page had received almost 12,000 “likes.”
Chrysler hasn’t revealed much about the upcoming Viper, other than to say it was restarting its shuttered Conner Avenue Assembly plant to build it later this year as a 2013 model. Production of the previous Viper ended in 2010.
Viper production began in May 1992 at the New Mack Assembly Plant, then moved to the Conner Avenue site in October 1995. All Vipers that rolled off the line were hand-built in a low-volume, modular process. Over the 15 years at Conner Avenue, employees built about 12 Vipers a day for a total of 22,070.
You can reach Larry P. Vellequette at email@example.com.